Planning Your Visit to Korea
As of the beginning of 2014, citizens of the United States, Japan, and most European countries (including Russia effective January 1, 2014) do not need a visa to enter Korea for short periods, and this has not been changed. However, Chinese citizens must obtain a visa for visits of any duration.
Please double-check whether you need to obtain a visa by checking at the link below:
Starting 2018, you must obtain following visa types if you are supported by IBS.
|Financial support*||Method||VISA type**|
|Honorarium||Reimbursement (wire transfer)||C-4
|Reimbursement (wire transfer)|
|IBS card payment||C-3-1
* The details apply to IBS regulation.
** For more details,
- Go to https://www.visa.go.kr/openPage.do?MENU_ID=10101.
- Select `Continent', `Country/Region', `Length of Stay' and `Purpose of Entry'.
- For C-4, select `Professional' as `Purpose of Entry'.
- For C-3-1, select `Short Term Visit' as `Purpose of Entry'.
- Click `Visa Navigator START'.
Electrical Plug and Voltage
The standard voltage in Korea is 220 volts/60 hertz. The outlet has two round holds and is the same type used in countries such as France, Germany, Greece, and Turkey. If your electrical device does not support 220 volts, you must bring a multi-voltage travel adapter. You may purchase one at a duty-free shop or a convenience store at Incheon International Airport or at the stationery shop on POSTECH campus.
The Republic of Korea has a temperate climate with four distinct seasons: cold winters, hot summers, and sunny and generally dry transition seasons – spring and fall. The annual mean temperature ranges from 10°C to 16°C. August is the hottest month (mean temperature 23-27°C), and January is the coldest month (mean temperature -6-7°C).
Annual precipitation ranges from 1,000 mm to 1,800 mm. More than half of the total rainfall is concentrated in the summer season, especially in late June. The relative humidity is the highest in July (80-90%) and the lowest in January and April (30-50%).
Visit the Korea Meteorological Administration Website at http://web.kma.go.kr/eng/index.jsp for current weather information.
You can find more information about visiting Korea at the following websites:
- Korea Tourism Organization: http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/index.kto
- Hi Korea (e-government for foreigners): http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/index.html
- City of Pohang Tourist Information: http://eng.ipohang.org/site/eng/tourism/tourist/touristmap/